KCSD Updated Quarantine Guidelines 1/11/2022
The New York State and Ulster County Departments of Health have recommended shortening the quarantine period for K-12 faculty, staff, and students to five (5) days for anyone who is not vaccinated against COVID-19.
5-Day Quarantine for Student, Faculty, & Staff
Infected (Positive Case):
- If infected with COVID-19, a person must isolate for five (5) days, where day zero (0) is the day of symptom onset, or - if asymptomatic - the day of a positive test result, regardless of vaccination status.
- If a COVID positive individual is asymptomatic at the end of five (5) days, or if their symptoms are resolving, they can end isolation and wear a well-fitting mask around others for an additional five (5) days. Individuals who cannot wear a well-fitting mask around others should continue to follow the standard isolation guidance (10 days).
- Individuals who are moderately to severely immunocompromised should continue to follow the standard isolation guidance of 10 days.
Exposed (Contact of a positive):
- Faculty, Staff, and Students who are fully vaccinated (2 shots of Moderna or Pfizer or 1 shot of Janssen, plus 14 days) are not required to quarantine, but these individuals should wear a well-fitting mask while around others for ten (10) days after the last date of exposure.
- Individuals who are not fully vaccinated should quarantine for five (5) days and wear a well-fitting mask while around others for an additional five (5) days.
- Both of these sets of individuals should test at day five (if possible) with either a PCR or an antigen test.
- If symptoms appear for either set of individuals, the individual should immediately quarantine and seek testing. In this scenario, quarantine ends upon a negative test, or upon following the guidance described in the “Infected (Positive Case)” section above.
- Students 12 years and older or faculty/staff who are eligible for a booster but have not yet received one may attend school for instruction (including bus transportation) but may not participate in extracurricular or after school activities for the 5-day period. Fully vaccinated 5-11-year-olds are not eligible for a booster and have no further restrictions.
- Individuals on quarantine will no longer be required to have a Department of Health release letter to return to school/work.