Dear KCSD Middle School Families,
Beginning on Monday, October 26, 2020, all middle school students in Grades 5-8 will begin the school day at 7:55am Monday-Thursday whether they are in school or at home.
ALL Miller and Bailey instruction will begin at 7:55am and end at 2:24pm. The hybrid daily period schedule is below.
Students in Grades 7 & 8 will not begin in-person learning until November 9th, but for scheduling purposes they must start using the new hybrid schedule starting on October 26th.
On Fridays, all middle school students will use the current Remote Learning schedule that begins at 9:00am.
ALL STUDENTS IN GRADES 5,6,7 & 8:
Parent JWB Reopening Plan
- School will start at normal time 7:55. Students will be arriving a little later this year by bus. The first bus should be here around 7:40. The first week we are expecting everyone to be flexible, since we have no idea how long it will take to get the students into the building.
- There will be a designated area for bus arrivals and for walkers and parent drop offs.
- All buses will drop off at the A level
- Morning Parent Drop Off is at the H Door
- It would be best to enter through Hurley Ave to drop off and pick up students
- No student is allowed to be dropped off before 7:30 a.m
- A staff member will approach the car to walk the student for temperature check
- Students will be released one bus at a time and escorted into the main lobby, where they will have their temperatures taken. TA’s and Bus Duty staff will assist with temperature taking.
- Once temps are taken students will be sent directly to their classrooms.
- All grades will be allowed a grab and go breakfast as they enter the building. Students will eat breakfast in the classroom.
- Masks are required at all times except when eating during designated times. Mask breaks will be at the discretion of the teacher.
- Lines down middle of all hallways indicating left and right
- Students must walk single file six feet apart.
- Masks on always in hallway
- There will be six-foot indicators on the floor for acknowledging social distancing
- No locker use, students must carry backpacks and coats.
- Must go right to class, no socializing in the hallway.
- Students must receive a pass before using the bathroom. No longer allowed during passing time.
- We will extend passing time to 6 minutes
- The first three minutes will be for grades 5 & 7 and the last three minutes will be for grades 6 & 8. There will be a new bell schedule lining up times.
- Stairs will be designated for one way up and down usage
- Students will not be able to go to the bathroom during passing time, they will need a pass from the teacher each time.
- Only two students allowed in the bathroom at one time.
In Class Instruction:
- As students enter the classroom, teachers will be in the doorway greeting and giving each student a squirt of hand sanitizer.
- Separate bins will be used for maroon and gold groups.
- Fridays will be all remote.
- Teachers can move around classroom with mask on, but there will be minimum movement for students.
- No sharing of any materials, this includes science labs.
- Admin must be notified at once if a student does not follow the safety measures. 3 strikes and the student will be remote.
- Students will not be bringing their Chrome Books back and forth.
- Students must carry their backpacks into the classrooms, there are no lockers.
- 5th grade teachers will escort students to their special areas for the first week.
- Upon entering the cafeteria students will be given a squirt of sanitizer
- We are trying for Bag Lunches. Still waiting for a decision.
- Half of each grade level will go outside, while the other half eats inside.
- Letters will be given out during 1st period by classroom teachers as to what group will be eating first and going out first.
- Tables will be replaced with desks, everyone will be facing the same direction.
- There will be no choice for students to stay inside any longer unless there is a medical note. Everyone must go out, so we have room for everyone inside the cafeteria. Weather permitting
- Students will have assigned seats; they should enter the cafeteria in a single line
- Lunch will be delivered to the students at their desk
- During inclement weather, students will go into classrooms.
- Unfortunately, no equipment from school or home (ex. basketball, football)
- No four square, jump rope, tag etc.
- Masks must be worn outside
- Students will be dismissed one grade level at a time. They will exit the building in a single-file line, maintaining all CDC safety guidelines regarding social distancing and wearing masks.
- Students who will be picked up at the end of the day will not be released until after the buses have left. Please stay in your car and staff will approach you. Again, it would be advantageous for everyone, if parent/guardians used Hurley Avenue to enter Parent Pick Up behind our building. (the same as previous years).
- No parent/visitor will be allowed to enter the building. That means all students must get in the practice of having everything prepared the night before school. We will not be accepting outside food/beverage or any type of delivery service. (pizzas, McDonalds, DD, Starbucks, flowers, etc.)
- Middle of day student pick-ups: Please contact our attendance secretary Mrs. Kordzikowski at 943-3573 if you must pick your child up during the school day. Our greeter will walk the student out and have you sign for their release.
Thank you for your continued support as we look forward to the school year ahead. Together, we will overcome the challenges this unusual year brings, and provide a wonderful year for our students. Please feel free to reach out to the JWB Main Office at 845-943-3940.
Bell Schedule - Hybrid Learning Plan