Financial Aid

    • In order for a student to receive financial aid they must fill out the free federal form, FAFSA. The website for this form is
    • FAFSA forms cannot be submitted until January 1, 2018, for the 2018 – 2019 school year.
    • It is highly recommended that these forms be submitted online. However, if you want to do the paper version it can be printed out by going to and clicking on the “FAFSA Filing Options” print it, fill it out and send by mail.
    • The earlier a student applies for financial aid the better. Even if a student is eligible for aid, it may no longer be available.
    • Aid is based on the previous year's (2017) tax records. If you want to do the FAFSA before your income tax is complete you may answer the questions based on your 2016 returns. However, you must go back to the FAFSA website and amend your numbers once you file for the 2017 year.
    • Students and parents will need a PIN (personal identification number) in order to access the FAFSA website. Students and parents can request this PIN now on the website
    • If parents would like access to the US Department of Education’s publications, they can be accessed at
    • If a student is applying to schools in New York State they may also be eligible for TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) from the state of New York. At the end of the FAFSA application there will be a link at the bottom to the TAP application.
    • Students will receive an SAR (Student Aid Report) from FAFSA which will have an EFC (Estimated Family Contribution). This number means the lower the family contribution the more aid they will be eligible for, and will give families an idea of what kind of aid they will be eligible for.
    • Both and have Financial Aid Calculators where families can use tax records to estimate the aid they may be eligible for.
    • Colleges and universities are now required to provide an online Net Price Calculator to assist families in estimating the cost of attendance.  This tool can be found on the Financial Aid section of the college's website.
    • There is a financial aid application that does cost money called the CSS Profile. Some private colleges and universities use this form to give out private money they have in endowments. This application can and should be filled out and submitted right away…you do not have to wait until January 1 to submit it.
    • Chris Chang from SUNY Ulster encourages all parents to call his Financial Aid Office for questions even if they are not planning to attend SUNY Ulster. They will also be hosting workshops where they will help parents fill out the FAFSA and submit it online. They can be reached by phone at 687-5058 or by email at

Related Files