STAR Diagnostic – KCSD Virtual and In-person Plan for Parents/Families: Winter 2021
Winter STAR MATH WINDOW: January 25 – February 10, 2021
Winter STAR EARLY LITERACY/READING WINDOW: February 8 – 25, 2021
STAR is a diagnostic that the school district uses from Renaissance Learning. The diagnostic testing we conduct measures students’ understanding in specific skills within math and reading. This diagnostic is given three times during the school year (Fall, Winter and Spring). STAR has been utilized to assist with informing our teachers on skill development for many years.
STAR diagnostics are short tests (about 30-40 minutes), and are adaptive, adjusting to each answer the student provides. Kindergarten, first grade students and some primary grade students take the STAR Early Literacy Diagnostic, while students in Grades 2-8 typically take two diagnostics, STAR Reading and STAR Math. Teachers and specialists use the diagnostic as one data point (in addition to other district assessments) to determine the needs and or strengths of the students. Along with the test data, the STAR program provides the teachers with important recommendations for each child, including targeted skills and ways to challenge higher-order thinking skills.
See the link below to visit Renaissance’s website for further information:
In person students (Maroon or Gold groups) will be taking the STAR diagnostic when scheduled to be in the building. All remote students will be scheduled to take the STAR diagnostic on Friday.
Prior to testing:
- Ensure a quiet testing area that is free from distractions.
- Remove or cover any materials around the testing area that might help answer test items.
- Provide scrap paper and pencil for your child to use during the STAR Math Diagnostic.
- Check that your computer audio is set appropriately and that you have working headphones available if needed. (STAR Early Literacy is an audio-based test. Audio for STAR Math can be turned on by the teacher if accommodations are needed.)
- Discuss with your child the importance of doing their best in order for their teachers to know how to best help them in class.
Start of Diagnostic:
Teachers will begin by discussing the STAR Diagnostic with the students.
Teachers will provide a link to start the diagnostic. Students are also able to access the diagnostic through Clever
Students will be given a unique password on the day they are scheduled to take the diagnostic.
Once the diagnostic begins, students are NOT PERMITTED to use other people, devices, or any other resources to help them answer test questions.
Thank you so much for your continued support of our students and the Kingston City School District!